Thursday, July 31, 2008

Life goes on......................

12th of Oct, 1999It was the holidays after the term exams. Myself and my friend were standing on that street corner. He was pushing me and shouting “Po daaa. Sollu po. Naan inga wait panren”. I shoved his hand away and kept glued to the place we were standing. “Bayamaa irukku da” I replied. The conversation went on until he finally managed to convince me to go ahead. I started towards the yellow painted house. I was just hoping that the walk will never end. The sun was beating down mercilessly which added to the heat of the moment. Atlast I reached the gate, I was still hoping that probably a locked door will save me. But no, it was wide open and there she came in a round neck t-shirt and a skirt, the symbol of most studious people – a spectacled nose. We chose to sit on the stair case leading to the terrace

“Enna indha timela” she queried as she closed the notebook which she was carrying. I did not know what to answer. I knew for sure that she will not buy if am going to give some crap reason as ‘doubt in one chapter in Business maths’ I was trying hard to comeup with some story when she, realizing my helplessness immediately changed the topic. “Are you not joining us for the tour tomorrow” I asked (I knew already that the list of members going to Ooty the next day was already finalized and she is not making it). “No yaar, parents are not allowing, moreover its proving to be costly. So you guys enjoy” she said. “But this is the last year of schooling and after this all of us will be scattered, why don’t you give it a final try” I suggested. The conversation continued for a while and after that I suddenly remembered the purpose of me making it to her place and the plight of my dear friend who was waiting patiently at the corner of the street. So I got up signaling that I would like to leave. Her expression evidently read “Why did this guy walk in middle of a scorching day and after a few minutes why does he take leave without saying anything”. Probably If she had had even the slightest idea of what I was about to say she would not have been that eager to hear it from my mouth.

As I turned towards the gate and stepped out, I realized that I cant carry it with me anymore and If were to return without telling her, I will be bashed up by my friends, whom I had been troubling a lot because of this issue. So I turned back. She was still there, probably realizing that I wanted her to stay back for a little while. As I looked into her eyes, I could sense my throat turning hoarse. The words refused to come out. “Nothing….. actually what am trying to say is” I started….. “Since I wont be here for the next week on occasion of the tour and as days pass by I find it difficult to carry along this feeling in me…….” and then I SAID IT.............

Yes!!!!!!! I finally managed to sum up the guts to propose to her. What a relief it was !!!! I had been carrying it with me for almost a year and finally it came out. Of course, as with most cases, she immediately said a NO, gave parents as the reason and finally after negotiation she said she needed time. Feeling satisfied to have closed on a good deal I gleefully walked back towards my friend who was still waiting there in the corner.

The tour was over, so was the holidays. School resumed and still the signal was in Amber for me. Days went by and my hopes started to diminish and it started to tell on my otherwise very cheerful behavior in school. Sympathies started pouring in on my favour and for her, people took turns to give her a piece of advice on what they thought about the situation. No change yet.

4th Nov, 1999 – It was my friends birthday. Yes, the same poor fellow who was waiting at the street corner that day. The whole class was celebrating it and I was joining them unaware of the greater celebration which was about to follow. Yes...... By the day end, atlast the signal showed GREEN. My joy knew no bounds. I was too happy and too busy rejoicing that I was not bothered to realize the magnitude and seriousness of the commitment which I was getting into. Years rolled by and what started off as an infatuation gradually grew into a long term relationship, inching towards the tying of knot....... It was a great feeling to live my dream, the dream of being together forever.

31st July 2008 – Its her birthday today. Earlier, I had sent her a SMS wishes at midnight 12:00 not wanting to disturb her housefolks and then dozed off. As always for a 9:30 office I woke up at sharp 9:00. Not bothering for a bath, immediately I got dressed up, sprayed the best of perfume available and started to office. Upon logging onto my inbox, there I saw....... Her e-mail...... I opened and downloaded the JPEG attachment simultaneously as I was getting onto the content of the mail.

The mail read "Coming down to Chennai next month for my husband's relative's marriage" As I finished reading the full mail, the photo popped up displaying 'A lady carrying a cute little girl baby'. It was her photo with her new-born kid.

With a wry smile I closed the photo and carried on with the office work. Life moves on and so do I, but holding onto dear memories………

regards
J. Sri Kumar

20 comments:

Rajiv M said...

i can visualise things...but a little worried that...i was never kept in a loop at those times...I could have helped...nevertheless...
"Gud guys finds..gud girls" at the end of it.

"Life moves on... and so do u"...Not enuf in just saying it... got to live upto it son!!! :)

Srikumar said...

hmmmmm.... not in the loop becos we were together only for cricketing reasons those days..

and probably read the last line as "Life moves on and so do I, but holding onto dear memories". This will be apt I believe...

Rajiv M said...

HAAAN...Now u realise the reason..why u didnt know me inside out!!!!

check the 1st para of ur comment!! :)

Srikumar said...

dai eruma..... adhukku naan ennada pannuvaen..... thats how we have been... right from D70 days through the league seasons etc we have always been ONLY that way.... but ppl who were otherwise also didnt know much abt u.... sooooooooo

Charanya said...

dai enaku mattum en da ipdi lam ezhutha vara matengarthu, love panna vara matengarthu!! :)
U shld have traind me properly

The Retardo Man said...

Dude! That was heart-wrenching man! You had the tension buildin' up at the stair-case...Keep it comin' brotha...

By the way, thanks for spending all that time on my blog...People usually abuse me for it's length...:P

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I liked ur blog a lot.. Keep writing and I would be very glad to check your blog every morning when I login to my system... And Remember I would be the 3rd person to read ur blog for SURE... :)

With Love,
Your friend!

தமிழ் விரும்பி said...

hi da.

very interesting.. i never knew that you are so good at writing. i am aware that you are too good in you vocublary.

the blog about your july 2008, it shows how true are/were in your love. i just pray God that you should get a better half.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

hi sreeeeeeeee,
Happy new year...............chumma today found time to gaze thru ur blogs.......... the intro abt u and ur space............ "some unforgettable memories....." took me to ur blogs one after the other......... Crickets mostly though............ i liked ur trips blogs........ But was smiling at the end when i read ur "Life goes on.........." Never even in my dreams i thought of U being so serious abt such things.........
Guess what i framed about U, is totally different from what u are...........
:) sweet of U..........

now i realise why u keep telling U wont MARRY! ;-)

koushick said...

Anbe Un Punnakayellam Adi Nenjil Semithen
Kanne Un Ponnakayellam Kanneeraai Urugiyathe
Vellai Siripukal Un Thavara
Athil Kollai Ponathu En Thavara
Pirindhu Sendrathu Un Thavara
Naan Purindhu Kondathu Enn Thavara
Aan Kanneer Parugum Pennin Idhayam
Sathayalla Kallin Suvara

Kavithai Paadina Kannkal, Kathal Pesina Kaigal
Kadaisiyil Ellam Poigal, Enn Pinju Nenju Thaanguma

Kuthunga Ejamaan Kuthunga... Intha ponnungalae ippadi thaan !

I dint like to write the above lines ..for i still have a little respect for girls in spite of witnessing a lot of my friends and their friends suffer like you have been. But then whatever happens life has move on ....

Machi sorry for what had happened in your life.i feel pity for that friend who was involved in those big moments... Paaavam da avan...Naan enna paathaen avan roopathulla adhuvum indha vishyathulla..... Admire your futuristic sense of writing this too in your blog to keep you reminded & rekindle those glorious emotions and feelings you had for the girl who dint realize its worth. I Appreciate your boldness to accept that you had a failure and you have bounced so strongly !

But then i have few doubts to be clarified from your end....
1) Nov 4th 1999 aporam directa 31st july 2008 ku vandhutta.. what happened in the middle period so that this love failed :(

2) in a light manner he he - what did u try to mean in those last lines, “Will surely take you out for a movie next week” Life moves on and so do I" .......

Anonymous said...

Hey ....
Its nearly a gap of 9yrs in between.... What happened all these years... Y dint you post any blogs of what took place these years... She came in contact with you after 9yrs only again?
How did you feel when you saw after such a long gap...
The way you had narrated happenings of your life was so interesting...

Srikumar said...

Hi Anonymous, it wud be great if u can introduce urself...

Anonymous said...

I am the second anonymous reader of your blog. Its ok. let me introduce myself first of all. I am damn crazy gal of your writings…. You dint clear my queries….And I have few more queries to know more about you.. In my view you are a self - centered person, but its interesting to know that you know to have soft corner somewhere… The more I dig about you, the more interesting you are… Just like any other love story, that girl's beauty made you to love her or does she possess any interesting skills as you do… Other than the passion for music, traveling, cricket, writings, any other passions?


Yours,
Crazy fan

Srikumar said...

Hi Anonymous,

I asked you one question for which u r yet to reply... but in turn am fired with lot of questions :-)

Atleast drop a mail so that i get to know who it is....

Anonymous said...

Hey Sri..
Once I get reply to my queries will let you know who am I through mail... and of course I said you that I am a crazy fan of yours... Not sufficient is it....

Srikumar said...

hmmmm... not sufficient... need to know you by name... drop in a mail and I wil reply in detail about all your queries...

koushick said...

Dey Fraudu ,
Naan unna andha rendu kelvi kettu evlo naal aaagudhu ......... neee innum bathil sollala !

answer my 2 questions ....appadiyae sidela unnoda indha Anonymous followers kitta chellama sandai potttuko ..... venadamnu sola la.
aaaana modhallla answer pannu !

Srikumar said...

machi koushik... nee ippadi overa kelvi kekkarannu dhaan i have edited the last few lines of that post :-)

Unknown said...

Sri..from the blog one thing i cant understnd is that wer u in love for some time .....and if so how sis u not knw that she got married..